The Premier League transfer window has closed but the rest of Europe remains open for business. Plus, it’s never too late to look forward to January! Click here to view the latest transfers and keep up to date with the latest gossip below.
– Lukaku completes €80m move to Inter
– Lo Celso joins Spurs on loan initially
– Tottenham seal £25m Sessegnon deal
– Arsenal sign Luiz, clinch Tierney move
– Man City sign Cancelo; Danilo joins Juve
– Premier League transfer wrap: Who won and who lost?
TOP STORY: Chelsea to circle back for Palace’s Zaha
The Sun claims that Crystal Palace’s wantaway star Wilfried Zaha could finally be on his way out of the club in the new year, although his apparent suitors might come as a surprise. Chelsea, the report claims, will launch an £80 million bid for his services — if (and it’s a big if) they can get their current transfer ban overturned.
Zaha has made no secret of his desire to leave Palace and head to pastures new. He has, though, reluctantly agreed to stay with the club until the winter window opens in four months’ time. The winger handed in a transfer request on Wednesday and didn’t train with Roy Hodgson’s side on Thursday, with the manager admitting that Zaha’s head wasn’t clear. That is hardly great news for Palace on the eve of the new season.
Everton were willing to spend big in order to bring Zaha to Merseyside, apparently preparing to offer him over £200,000-a-week to come to Goodison. But if Chelsea are free to splash the cash in January, the uneasy truce between Zaha and Palace could flare up again.
10.05 BST: What did we make of Romelu Lukaku’s move to Inter Milan? One FC TV pundit says it was a great move.
ESPN FC’s Steve Nicol says Romelu Lukaku will fit perfectly into Antonio Conte’s system at Inter Milan following his move from Manchester United.
09.27 BST: Barcelona midfielder Arthur Melo has been speaking to ESPN and some other reporters in the U.S. — here’s what he had to say on transfers.
On Philippe Coutinho: “It’s his choice. He has to speak with his family, he has to be happy [here] to stay [here]. I think he’s happy. My desire is for him to stay because he’s top player and a great friend, too.”
On Neymar: “I don’t speak with him about his future because I don’t want to annoy him too much. Everyone asks him about that and I speak with him about a lot of other things. I don’t know if he will come or not, but here we are. Let’s see what happens.
“I think me, the fans, the players and the team would want him back because he’s an amazing player. I really like playing with him for Brazil and I hope I can enjoy [playing with him] here, too.”
09.07 BST: Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan has signed a new long-term contract, the club announced on Friday.
Gundogan, 24, has put pen to paper on a four-year deal that will keep him at City until at least 2023.
08.41 BST: Manchester United will resume their recruitment of a technical director now that the Premier League transfer window has closed for the summer, the BBC reports.
United initially began looking for candidates to fill the newly created role last summer, and intended to make an appointment before hiring a permanent successor to Jose Mourinho as manager.
However, with no appointment made since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge, first as caretaker and then on a full-time basis, the Norwegian oversaw the signings of Daniel James, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire this summer.
Former United players Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher have been linked with the role.
08.15 BST: Real Madrid are turning their full attention to signing Neymar now that they have given up on Paul Pogba, according to Marca.
Pogba had been a target for Madrid all summer, and had himself expressed his desire to leave Manchester United for a new challenge earlier in the summer.
However, with the transfer deadline passing for Premier League clubs without a potential replacement for the France midfielder being signed, Real club chiefs are assuming a deal will not be possible before their own transfer window closes.
Marca reports that Madrid are now hoping it is third time lucky in their pursuit for Neymar, who they tried to sign from Santos before he joined Barcelona in 2013, and again in 2018 after his first season at Paris Saint-Germain.
Once again, it looks like they will go toe-to-toe with bitter rivals Barca for the Brazil striker’s signature.
The FC crew discusses Man United’s probable lineup to start the season and question their lack of foresight when it comes to replacing Romelu Lukaku.
PAPER TALK (by Rich Edwards)
After Lukaku, Inter target Dzeko next
Inter Milan have finally got their man after persuading Romelu Lukaku to leave Old Trafford and travel to the San Siro. Now the Italian giants are setting their sights on doing likewise with Edin Dzeko. According to Calciomercato, the agent for the Bosnia international met Inter officials on Wednesday, with the player holding discussions with the club on Thursday.
That said, this is no done deal. Roma have no replacement lined up, and with the European transfer window slamming shut soon, time is running out. All of which might make negotiations between the two Serie A rivals more than a little challenging.
The outlet claims that Dzeko has already reached an agreement in principle with Inter and that the club is willing to up its offer in order to get the deal done and over the line. That could see the former Manchester City star lining up with former Manchester United player Lukaku by the time the month is out.
Modric going nowhere
Modric missed the club’s friendly against Red Bull Salzburg on Wednesday, sparking a flurry of speculation about his future, but the rumour mongers can stand down. He’s going nowhere.
– Marcos Rojo is fizzing after his deadline day move to Everton collapsed. The Daily Mail reports that a loan deal had been put in place, but Manchester United changed the conditions of the deal on transfer deadline day morning. That leaves Rojo stuck and Everton without a much-needed addition to their defence.
– After his miserable stay at Stoke was ended in fairly fractious circumstances earlier this week, it seems as though Saido Berahino is set to resurface — in Belgium with Zulte Waregem. That’s according to the Daily Mail, which reports that the Belgian club are swooping for his services after Stoke paid him almost £2.5m to release him from his current deal. The striker endured a troubled stint in the Potteries and was recently banned from driving for 30 months and fined £75,000 after being found guilty of drink-driving.