Home Entertainment Philly orchestra rescinds invitation to Plácido Domingo after sexual harassment allegations –...

Philly orchestra rescinds invitation to Plácido Domingo after sexual harassment allegations – Washington Examiner

17

The Philadelphia Orchestra has rescinded their invitation to have Plácido Domingo at their opening night concert after several allegations of sexual harassment surfaced Tuesday.

Plácido Domingo
Conductor and tenor Plácido Domingo, left, and writer Isabel Allende speak to an audience on the opening night and at the world premiere of the opera “Dulce Rosa” co-produced by The Broad Stage and LA Opera in Santa Monica, Calif. on Friday, May 17, 2013. Domingo will be conducting the opera, based on the short story “Una Veganza” written by Allende. (Photo by Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP)

Nine women claimed that Domingo had been inappropriate with them in the past, detailing incidents that went back to the 1980s. As reports of harassment surfaced, others claimed that Domingo, 78, had long been a figure in the opera world of whom young women were told to be wary.

Domingo, a legendary Spanish opera singer and conductor, has been married to his wife Marta since 1962.

“There is an oral tradition of warning women against Plácido Domingo,” said a singer from the Los Angeles Opera, where Domingo serves as director. “Avoid interaction with him at all costs. And definitely don’t be alone with him.”

“The allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as 30 years are deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate,” Domingo said in a statement. “Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable — no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions.”

The Philadelphia Orchestra became the first to distance itself from Domingo following the Tuesday allegations. “We are committed to providing a safe, supporting, respectful, and appropriate environment for the orchestra and staff, for collaborating artists and composers, and for our audiences and communities,” the orchestra said in a statement.

The Philadelphia Orchestra Association has withdrawn its invitation to Plácido Domingo to appear as part of its Opening Night concert on September 18, 2019. pic.twitter.com/5wJXkuhI8t

— PhilOrch (@philorch)
August 13, 2019

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link